Provenance

Saint Thomas of Villanueva Giving Alms to the Poor, 1665-1670

Bartolomé-Esteban Murillo
The Norton Simon Foundation
F.1972.47.2.P
© The Norton Simon Foundation


Commissioned August 30, 1664 by the Capuchin Monastery of St. Augustin for the Cavalieri Chapel dedicated to St. Thomas Villanueva, Seville; expropriated in 1835 (the “desamortización;”)
[Baron Taylor (and Adrien Dauzats?)] for;
King Louis Philippe, Galerie Espagnole, Paris, by 1838 (sale, London, Christie’s, 21 May 1853, lot 498 for gs. 710 to);
Graves, for[?];
Thomas Baring (uncle of Lord Northbrook); by descent in the
Northbrook collection, London, by 1889, sold sometime between 1919 and 1926.
[Ehrich Gallery, New York, by 1931].
Dr. Philip O. Cole;
Parlex Corporation, New York.
[Frederick Mont, New York, sold 7 November 1972 to]
Norton Simon Foundation

 

Close Window